Re: Suspend 2 merge

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 17:28:51 EST

Hi!

> > My machine suspends in 7 seconds, and that's swsusp1. According to
> > your numbers, suspend2 should suspend it in 1 second and LZE
> > compressed should be .5 second.
> >
> > I'd say "who cares". 7 seconds seems like fast enough for me. And I'm
> > *not* going to add 2000 lines of code for 500msec speedup during
> > suspend.
>
> Lucky you. My machine takes minutes.
> (To be precise, it prints about a line and a half of dots in the
> count_data_pages() loop, and often takes 2 seconds per dot.)
>
> AMD Athlon XP, 1066 MHz, 768K RAM, VIA KT133 chipset.
> Stock 2.6.10-rc1.
>
> I could really use a speedup.

Yep, that's O(n^2) algorithm slowing it down. I have fix for it, but
2.6.10 is now too frozen for performance fix to go in. See "bigdiff" I
sent to hugang, or wait few minutes and you'll get really ugly diff in
private email, that should solve it, too.

[I'll be glad when you report results. It should make count_data_pages
< 1 second].

> if nothing else. But complaining that it doesn't annoy *you* isn't the
> most valid argument.

Ok, it is the scale. Half a second speedup is not enough to justify
new compression algorithm in the kernel.
Pavel