Re: page migration patchset

From: Ray Bryant
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 13:46:40 EST

Hugh Dickins wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Robin Holt wrote:

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:38:02AM -0600, Ray Bryant wrote:

Pages that are found to be swapped out would be handled as follows:
Add the original node id to either the swap pte or the swp_entry_t.
Swap in will be modified to allocate the page on the same node it
came from. Then, as part of migrate_process_pages, all that would
be done for swapped out pages would be to change the "original node"
field to point at the new node.

However, I could probably do both steps (2) and (3) as part of the
migrate_process_pages() call.

I don't think we need to worry about the swap case. Let's keep the
changes small and build when we see problems. The normal swap
out/in mechanism should handle nearly all the page migration issues
you are concerned with.

At the moment, this discussion is moot (for my application at least).
For our workloads, we almost never swap, we are going to ignore migrating
swapped out pages until such a time that we see a performance need for same.

If that point ever comes, we will have to solve this problem then.

--
Best Regards,
Ray