Re: 2.6.11-rc1-mm1

From: Karim Yaghmour
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 06:01:03 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
> When you have a timing bug and your logger starts to block randomly
> you also won't debug anything. Fix is to make your buffers bigger.

relayfs allows you to choose which is best for you.

>From Documentation/filesystems/relayfs.txt:
int relay_open(channel_path, bufsize, nbufs, channel_flags,
channel_callbacks, start_reserve, end_reserve,
rchan_start_reserve, resize_min, resize_max, mode,
init_buf, init_buf_size)
- resize_min - if set, this signifies that the channel is
auto-resizeable. The value specifies the size that the channel will
try to maintain as a normal working size, and that it won't go
below. The client makes use of the resizing callbacks and
relay_realloc_buffer() and relay_replace_buffer() to actually effect
the resize.

- resize_max - if set, this signifies that the channel is
auto-resizeable. The value specifies the maximum size the channel
can have as a result of resizing.

LTT uses fixed-sized channels, but the implementation of printk-
over-relayfs used resize_min and resize_max to allow automatic
sizing (grep for relay_open):
http://www.opersys.com/ftp/pub/relayfs/patch-printk-on-relayfs-2.6.0-test1

... now I'm going to get some sleep ... I'll catch up later with
further discussion ...

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits