Re: [patch, 2.6.11-rc2] sched: /proc/sys/kernel/rt_cpu_limit tunable

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 03:41:04 EST

* Jack O'Quin <joq@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > It would be very interesting to see how jackd/jack_test performs with
> > this patch applied, and rt_cpu_limit is set to different percentages,
> > compared against unpatched SCHED_FIFO performance.
>
> It works great...
>
> http://www.joq.us/jack/benchmarks/rt_cpu_limit
> http://www.joq.us/jack/benchmarks/rt_cpu_limit+compile
> http://www.joq.us/jack/benchmarks/.SUMMARY
>
> I'll experiment with it some more, but this seems to meet all my
> needs. As one would expect, the results are indistinguishable from
> SCHED_FIFO...
>
> # rt_cpu_limit
> Delay Maximum . . . . . . . . : 290 usecs
> Delay Maximum . . . . . . . . : 443 usecs
> Delay Maximum . . . . . . . . : 232 usecs
>
> # rt_cpu_limit+compile
> Delay Maximum . . . . . . . . : 378 usecs
> Delay Maximum . . . . . . . . : 206 usecs
> Delay Maximum . . . . . . . . : 528 usecs

very good. Could you try another thing, and set the rt_cpu_limit to less
than the CPU utilization 'top' reports during the test (or to less than
the DSP CPU utilization in the stats), to deliberately trigger the
limiting code? This both tests the limit and shows the effects it has.
(there should be xruns and a large Delay Maximum.)

Ingo