Re: [RFC 2.6.11-rc2-mm2 0/7] mm: manual page migration -- overview II

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 07:20:10 EST

[Sorry, didn't answer to everything in your mail the first time.
See previous mail for beginning]

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 06:29:45PM -0600, Ray Bryant wrote:
> migrating, and figure out from that what portions of which pid's
> address spaces need to migrated so that we satisfy the constraints
> given above. I admit that this may be viewed as ugly, but I really
> can't figure out a better solution than this without shuffling a
> ton of ugly code into the kernel.

I like the concept of marking stuff that shouldn't be migrated
externally (using NUMA policy) better.

> One issue that hasn't been addressed is the following: given a
> particular entry in /proc/pid/maps, how does one figure out whether
> that entry is mapped into some other process in the system, one
> that is not in the set of processes to be migrated? One could

[...]

Marking things externally would take care of that.

> If we did this, we still have to have the page migration system call
> to handle those cases for the tmpfs/hugetlbfs/sysv shm segments whose
> pages were placed by first touch and for which there used to not be
> a memory policy. As discussed in a previous note, we are not in a

You can handle those with mbind(..., MPOL_F_STRICT);
(once it is hooked up to page migration)

Just mmap the tmpfs/shm/hugetlb file in an external program and apply
the policy. That is what numactl supports today too for shm
files like this.

It should work later.

-Andi