Linux 2.6.10 sleep mode

From: linux-os
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 16:46:15 EST

I put Linux-2.6.10 on a COMPAQ presario 1800 (bad choice).
After a few minutes without any keyboard activity, it enters
"sleep mode" and dies. I need to remove the battery and
external power to be able to re-boot. Even after that,
it needs to be rebooted twice because it will get to
"Uncompressing Linux" and hang. An added data-point:
If I boot Linux, then properly shut down, it will
not boot Linux again unless I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del when
it hangs. The second time, it will boot okay.

The last kernel version that worked properly on
this machine was Linux-2.2.17 SuSE Linux-6.4
It had no such problems.

How do I turn this "feature" OFF?

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.10 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.