Re: [patch 1/1] /proc/$$/ipaddr and per-task networking bits

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 10:44:51 EST

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 16:28 +0100, Lorenzo HernÃndez GarcÃa-Hierro
wrote:

> > 2) Can you explain briefly what this is useful for?
>
> For keeping track on the "originating ip address of the
> task/process" (the ipv4 address of the user that started the
> task/process).

but.... tasks don't have an IP address. Hosts do. Hosts can have
multiple IP addresses. Both ipv4 and ipv6. Users don't have IP
addresses either (they do have user IDs so that link is clear).
I think I'm missing something big here. What does it *mean* for a task
to have an IP address. Once that is clear maybe I can start to
understand the rest, but until the meaning of "task has an IP address"
is better explained/more clear I think I'm stuck. (and no the output in
a log isn't a meaning, it's only a result)