Re: 2.6.11-mm3 mouse oddity

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 04:45:04 EST

Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:01:46AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:25:12 +0100, Helge Hafting
<helge.hafting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2.6.11-mm1 and earlier: mouse appear as /dev/input/mouse0
2.6.11-mm3: mouse appear as /dev/input/mouse1

No big problem, one change to xorg.conf and I got the mouse back.
I guess it wasn't supposed to change like that though?

Vojtech activated scroll handling in keyboard code by default so now
your keyboard is mapped to the mouse0 and the mouse moved to mouse1.

We cannot ship a kernel with this change, surely? Our users would come
hunting for us with pitchforks.

Mouse device numbers are defined to be unstable because of hotplug.

Most users use /dev/input/mice, where this won't have impact.

The officially correct solution is to use udev to get stable device
names.

The change is easily reverted - just change the 'atkbd.scroll' default
value.

Please don't remove it - it is nice to have support for the hardware.
Apps using this is also necessary - and they are possible now.
If you want to go the route of least surprise you may want to
make sure the "new" mice get higher numbers instead of
pushing "older" mice around.

Helge Hafting