Re: Netlink Connector / CBUS

From: Guillaume Thouvenin
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 03:23:01 EST

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 11:34 +0400, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 01:10 -0400, Herbert Xu wrote:
>
> >In fact to this day I still don't understand what problems this thing is
> >meant to solve.
>
> Hmm, what else can I add to my words?
> May be checking the size of the code needed to broadcast kobject changes
> in kobject_uevent.c for example...
> Netlink socket allocation + skb handling against call to cn_netlink_send().

And It's the same for the fork connector. It allows to send a message to
a user space application when a fork occurs by adding only one line (two
with the #include) in the kernel/fork.c file. Thus, the netlink
connector is a very simple and fast mechanism when you need to send a
small amount of information from kernel space to user space.

Regards,
Guillaume