Re: init process freezed after run_init_process

From: rjy
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 21:39:03 EST

Apply these rules:
1.) If you do provide an initrd= thing, the initrd is being looked for /linuxrc.

I have add /linuxrc, /init and /bin/init, all link to /sbin/init.
It just refuses to work ... :(

Only VIA IDE chipset maybe, but you don't usually need that for just-initrd.
You'd need that for the harddisks...

My harddisk works fine without initrd.

Make your own initrd and put a bash into it. Then start that, e.g. (for our linux live cd), initrd=initrd.sqfs root=/dev/ram0 init=/bin/bash

I have tried these kernel parameters:
init=/bin/bash
init=/linuxrc
init=/init
init=/sbin/init
None works.

Also, after some google, I found that the format of initrd has changed.
I also tried a new initrd with cpio format. The kernel recognized it:
Boot Logs:
1) checking if image is initramfs... it is
Freeing initrd memory: 17583k freed
3) Freeing unused kernel memory: 128k freed

After the kernel start, I add breakpoints at cpu_idle and do_schedule.
cpu_idle never reached, only do_schedule did. Is that strange?