Re: RT patch acceptance

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 20:47:13 EST

Daniel Walker <dwalker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not going to ignore any of the discussion, but it would be nice to
> hear Andrew's, or Linus's specific objections..

I have no specific objections - this all started out from my general
observation that things like process-context IRQ handlers and
priority-inheriting mutexes have had a tough reception in the past, and are
likely to do so in the future as well.

This thing will be discussed on a patch-by-patch basis. Contra this email
thread, we won't consider it from an all-or-nothing perspective.

(That being said, it's already a mighty task to decrypt your way through
the maze-like implementation of spin_lock(), lock_kernel(),
smp_processor_id() etc, etc. I really do wish there was some way we could
clean up/simplify that stuff before getting in and adding more source-level
complexity).