Re: Advices for a lcd driver design. (suite)

From: moreau francis
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 03:43:28 EST

--- Lukasz Stelmach <stlman@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> moreau francis napisaÅ?(a):
>
> > well I already looked at framebuffers and choose to not use them because
> > t6963c controller does not have a frame buffer memory that can be accessed
> > by using mmap.
> [...]
> > am I wrong in my choice ?
>
> I think the "buffer" could be shadowed in kernel and updated periodically.

Ok I can try using frame buffer, but I'm afraid to use such code for such
small graphic device. Maybe for the start I can forget use "mmap" and use only
"write" method ?
Do you know if I can find an example in kernel code for such implementation ?

> Yes and no. No because framebuffer is about drawing graphics not text
> and yest for there is fbcon console driver on top of the framebuffer. At
> least AFAIK.

does that mean once there is fbcon console driver set up on top of framebuffer
I can't use anymore /dev/fb for drawing graphics ?

> BTW, have you seen these
> http://www.skippari.net/lcd/t6963c_prog.html
> http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~frink/lcd-t6963c-0.1/README.html

yeah, but there's only one driver that uses text console implementation
and it can't be accessed for drawing graphics.

thanks

Francis