Re: [ANNOUNCE] Interbench v0.20 - Interactivity benchmark

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 09:50:08 EST

kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Quoting Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>:

Disk tests should be at a fixed rate, not all you can do. That's NOT
realistic.

Not true; what you suggest is another thing to check entirely, and that

would

be a valid benchmark too. What I'm interested in is what happens if you read

or write a DVD ISO image for example to your hard disk and what this does to

interactivity. This sort of reading or writing is not throttled in real

life.

Of course it is. At least the read. It's limited to the speed needed to either play (watch) the image or to burn it.

Ok we'll call it hair splitting. We do both. You read the file and I copy it.
Both happen in real life, and I plan to emulate both.

And that sounds exactly correct.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc