Re: USB Storage speed regression since 2.6.12

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 15:06:44 EST

DervishD wrote:
Hi all :)

I don't know if this is a known issue, but usb-storage speed for
'Full speed' devices dropped from 2.6.11.12 (more than 800Kb/s) to
2.6.12 (less than 250Kb/s). The problem still exists in 2.6.13.

The lack of speed seems to affect only the OHCI driver. My test
was done over a PCI USB 2.0 card, ALi chipset, OHCI driver (well
EHCI+OHCI) and using a full speed device capable of 12MBps. The
average measured speeds are:

- 2.4.31: about 450Kb/seg
- 2.6.11-Debian: about 800Kb/seg
- 2.6.11.12: about 820Kb/seg
- 2.6.12.x: about 200Kb/seg
- 2.6.13: about 200Kb/seg

The .config is more or less the same in all kernels. I've took a
look at the ChangeLog for 2.6.12 and there are lots of changes in the
USB subsystem but I cannot identify which one could be the culprit.

I see a worse problem, I load the driver, mount the filesystems on the USB 160GB disk, and the disk just "goes away." I see the devices in /proc/scsi/scsi but I can't access the devices any more. Definitely time for a fallback to a more stable kernel!