Re: Linux NTFS Vista compatibility (was: Re: [2.6-GIT] NTFS: Release2.1.24.)

From: Szakacsits Szabolcs
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 18:43:48 EST

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, Alistair John Strachan wrote:

I have limited access to the beta, as it expires every 30 days and forces me to reinstall it. I promise to get back to all of you after 2.6.14 is released with the LogFile changes.

Thanks. Also, if you don't want to patch or compile yourself now then you could just download and unpack this latest CVS ntfsclone binary (used by us to collect NTFS metadata images for investigation):

http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/snapshots/ntfsclone-static-1.11.3-WIP2.tgz

and run e.g.

ntfsclone --metadata --output vista-ntfs.img <partition>

If it gives an error then rerun with the --debug option and the end of the output will tell what's the reason for the failure.

To clarify, I did not leave the Vista NTFS volume in an inconsistent state. I even forced a chkdsk, rebooted, let it run through, then attempted again to mount it with the NTFS code in 2.6.13. This categorically fails.

Currently this is the expected behavior if you "interrupt" the chkdsk procedure. If you schedule chkdsk then you must boot Windows twice, not only once. Otherwise you get the below error message

NTFS error: ntfs_check_logfile(): Did not find any restart pages in
$LogFile and it was not empty.

which means that the log was used by chkdsk which will be handled by the next Windows boot. At present the Linux NTFS code can't cope with this scenario so you must boot Windows again and then Linux. If you did so, then well, the above command could tell the reason.

BTW, this is not Vista only feature.

Szaka