Re: Instantiating my own random number generator

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 07:11:17 EST

Roberto Jung Drebes wrote:

Hi there,

Hi,

I have a kernel module which asks for random numbers using get_random_bytes().

Is there a way I can set this number generator my own seed value, so that I can replay experiments I perform with my module? If I set a seed for the whole system, it would affect other kernel tasks obtaining random numbers through get_random_bytes(), so I guess that is not a good solution.

Why don't you implement a simple PRNG in your own module that you can control yourself for your experiments, and then replace it later with get_random_bytes()?

There are a number of PRNG's that are simple to implement and good enough for most problems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pseudorandom_number_generators

I hope this helps,

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our
adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain