Re: Linux 2.6.15-rc3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 16:46:54 EST

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Helge Hafting wrote:

> Can't open root dev "831" or unknown block(8,49)
> Please append a correct root= boot option
> unable to mount root fs from block(8,49)

Sounds like your SATA drive wasn't detected.

Please double-check that your config changes didn't disable it, but
otherwise:

> Now 2.6.14 works with exactly the same lilo.con,
> where I have root=/dev/sdd1 (SATA drive)

please specify _which_ SATA driver you are using so that Jeff & co can try
to figure out what broke since 2.6.14.

Also, if you can pinpoint where it broke better, that probably helps
(most sata changes were in -rc1, but there were some sata_mv and sata_sil4
changes in in -rc2 too, so even just poinpointing it to either of those
will help, although the daily builds might be even better).

Linus