Re: [patch] make sysctl_overcommit_memory enumeration sensible

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 00:16:26 EST

Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:
On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 08:01:10PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:

I see system admins often confused when they sysctl vm.overcommit_memory.
This patch makes overcommit_memory enumeration sensible.

What's the point? The current has been there for a long time, and
is well documented.

Yes, the current is well documented and for a long time. But the design is
insane, no matter how well and how long it is documented. Users have to read
the document for *many times*.

The new way is logical so it would let us "read once, remember always".

That's just not how it's done, full stop.

If it was really a big problem, you'd add a new sysctl with the new
behaviour, put a warning printk in the kernel that says the old one
is deprecated, wait for a year or so, then remove the old one.

But I suspect it simply doesn't matter that much in this case.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.