Re: + edac-new-opteron-athlon64-memory-controller-driver.patch added to -mm tree

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 14:06:45 EST

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 11:46:00AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx> writes:
>
> >> With EDAC on my next boot I get positive confirmation that I either
> >> pulled the DIMM that the error happened on, or I pulled a different
> >> DIMM.
> >
> > How? You simulate a new error and let EDAC resolve it?
>
> No. There is a status report that tells you which pieces of hardware
> your memory controller sees. It is just a simple list.

Ok but that could be also done easily in user space that reads
PCI config space. No need for a complicated kernel driver at all.

> Isn't something that just works, and is not at the mercy of the BIOS
> developers with too little time worth doing?

I just don't see how it's very useful if you don't know which DIMM
to replace in the first place. And to know that in your scheme you need
your magical database with all motherboards ever shipped, which
I don't consider realistic.

-Andi