Re: [discuss] Re: Please pull x86-64 bug fixes

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 15:43:28 EST

tel 975 board and a Asus AMD K8 board with PCI Express) please share it.

> Can you then please share the list of known BIOS bugs?

I already did, but here again in detail:

Intel 9x5 hangs when you do any mmconfig access (apparently reference BIOS
fills in bogus address). Check against ACPI resources doesn't catch it
either.

Mac Mini doesn't do any Type1 at all, so a verify pass that checks
mcfg against type1 doesn't work there.

AMD K8 boards with PCI-E bridges have mmconfig only
on some busses, but not on the internal northbridge busses.
MCFG can describe this by listing segments, but the contents
of that on many boards can be described as "fictional" at best.
That is why Linux needs to verify that too.

> All I have to do on my machines is work around the disable-mmconfig
> code, and things start working.

If the choice is between a secret NDA only card with dubious
functionality and booting on lots of modern boards I know what to
choose.

-Andi