Re: How many people are using 2.6.16?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 21:40:40 EST

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Mark Lord wrote:

> I believe our featherless leader said he though it was an ancient bug,
> exasperated by something that went into 2.6.19.
>
> If Linus's opinion is correct (still?), then the bug exists in all
> kernels since somewhere back in the 2.4.xx days.

The issue was somewhat confused by people certainly *reporting* it for
older kernels. Also, as part of the dirty bit cleanups and sanity
checkingwe did actually seem to fix a long-standing CIFS corruption (and
apparently reisertfs/XFS problems too).

But the *common* case was actually introduced with 2.6.19, and 2.6.16
wouldn't be affected.

Linus