Re: ABI coupling to hypervisors via CONFIG_PARAVIRT

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 16:05:55 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So please
>
> - point out things that are badly done. [...]

the thing badly done is fundamental and it trumps any other small
technological detail complaint i have, because it affects the
development and maintainance model: to promise backwards compatibility
to 4-5 different hypervisors, using separate ABIs for each. /One/ such
ABI would be complex enough to maintain IMO.

( if there is no backwards compatibility promise then i have zero
complaints: then paravirt_ops + the hypercall just becomes another API
internal to Linux that we can improve at will. But that is not
realistic: if we provide CONFIG_VMI today, people will expect to have
CONFIG_VMI in the future too. )

as i said in the very, very first email about this topic: /one/ new ABI
towards hypervisors should be introduced step by step, and via concensus
across hypervisors. We should treat the hypercall ABI very similar to
the system call ABI: the system call ABI is largely based on a concensus
between applications.

[ i think apic_write() granularity is bad too - but that is a small
technical issue, dwarved by the ABI issues that impact the development
model IMO. ]

Ingo