Re: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 09:32:30 EST

On Thu, Apr 26 2007, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Oh we have scores of these hacks around. Look at the dvd/cd layer. The
> > > point is to get rid of those.
> >
> > Perhaps this is just a matter of cleaning them up so they are no
> > longer hacks?
>
> CD and DVD media support various non power-of-two block sizes. Supporting
> more block sizes would also be useful as we could then read older smart
> media (256byte/sector) without the SCSI layer objecting and the like.

I think Christoph is referring to the packet writing stuff, where we use
32kb or 64kb block sizes. Those aren't implemented as page cache hacks
currently though, the issue is worked around at the block layer level by
doing software RMW.

Supporting larger page cache blocks would allow pktcdvd to be reduced to
almost nothing.

--
Jens Axboe