RE: Is gcc thread-unsafe?

From: Andrew Haley
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 06:20:50 EST

David Schwartz writes:
> > Well, yeah. I know what you mean. However, at this moment, some
> > gcc developers are trying really hard not to be total d*ckheads
> > about this issue, but get gcc fixed. Give us a chance.
> Can we get some kind of consensus that 'optimizations' that add
> writes to any object that the programmer might have taken the
> address of are invalid on any platform that supports memory
> protection?

That's what the proposed standard language says, kinda-sorta. There's
an informal description at

Anyway, we have fixed this bug and are committing it to all open gcc
branches. Credit to Ian Taylor for writing the patch.

Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903
More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at