Re: Why preallocate pmd in x86 32-bit PAE?

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 12:12:47 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>
>> Once difference is that 64-bit incrementally allocates all levels of the
>> pagetable, whereas 32-bit PAE preallocates the 4 pmds when it allocates
>> the pgd. What's the rationale for this? What pitfalls would there be
>> in making them incrementally allocated?
>>

> IIRC, the present bit is ignored in the magic 4-entry PGD. All entries
> have to be present.

Hm, do you recall what processors that might affect? As far as I know,
current processors will ignore non-present top-level entries. Anyway,
we can point them not present to empty_zero_page, so testing the present
bit will still be sufficient to tell if we need to allocate a new pmd,
but if the hardware decides to follow the page reference there's no harm
done. (Hm, unless the hardware decides it wants to set A or D bits in
empty_zero_page for some reason...)

> What earlier CPU's did was to basically load all four values into the CPU
> when you loaded %cr3. There was no "three-level page table walker" at all:
> it was still a two-level page table walker, there were just for magic
> internal page tables that were indexed off the two high bits.

That just means we need to reload cr3 after populating the pgd with a
new pmd, right?