Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/4] CPUSET driven CPU isolation

From: Max Krasnyanskiy
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 12:48:23 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My vision on the direction we should take wrt cpu isolation.

Next on the list would be figuring out a nice solution to the workqueue flush issue.

nice work Peter, i find this "system sets" extension to cpusets a much more elegant (and much more future-proof) solution than the proposed spreadout of the limited hack of isolcpus/cpu_isolated_map. It concentrates us on a single API and on a single mechanism to handle isolation matters. (be that for clustering/supercomputing or real-time purposes)
Come on Ingo. You make it sounds like it's radically different solution.
At the end of the day we have a bitmap that represents which CPUs can be used for the kernel stuff. How is that different ?
I was saying all along that cpusets is a higher level API and was discussing or trying to discuss (people were ignoring my questions) ways to integrate it.

Thanks for insisting on using cpusets for this!

i've queued up your patches in sched-devel.git, and lets make sure this has no side-effects on existing functionality. (it shouldnt)
Hmm, that was easy. Not a single ack. Even the core part is not complete yet. I pointed out several issues. Like the fact that it does not provide full isolation because it does not move timers, does not handle workqueues.
I did not even get a chance to test this stuff properly and see if it actually solves the usecase I was solving with my patches.
_Obviously_ we could not have taken my tested solution and evolved it in the direction people wanted to see it evolve, ie integration with the cpusets :(.

My main concern is that it introduces a whole new set of notifiers that perform similar functions to what CPU hotplut already does.

Max