Re: Regression in 2.6.25-rc3: s2ram segfaults before suspending

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 12:47:15 EST

On Mon 2008-03-03 09:10:35, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
>>>
>>> The only thing I don't understand is why this is suddenly a problem with
>>> 2.6.25, and not with 2.6.24? Is there a bug in 2.6.24 and previously
>>> that allows real-mode execution of non-executable pages?
>>
>> It is strange indeed... Should it be traced as an regression?
>
> I'd like to understand what the heck happened, but as far as we can observe
> right now, it's a *progression*, not a regression, since executing out of a
> non-PROT_EXEC area isn't *supposed* to work...

Okay, I guess this depends on the eye of the beholder... because s2ram
*is* supposed to work ;-).

Ideally, I'd like to keep 2.6.24 behaviour for at least a while, so we
can try to fix the libx86 out there or something...
Pavel
PS: Matthew, there's problem in libx86: it tries to execute from area
not marked as PROT_EXEC.