Re: XFS internal error

From: Andreas Kotes
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 09:48:01 EST

Hello,

* David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx> [20080311 00:45]:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:59:27PM +0100, Andreas Kotes wrote:
> > * David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx> [20080310 23:30]:

> > > xfs_repair is ensuring that the problem is not being caused by on-disk
> > > corruption. In this case, it does not appear to be caused by on-disk
> > > corruption, so xfs_repair won't help.
> >
> > ok, too bad - btw, is it a problem that I'm doing the xfs_repair on a
> > mounted filesystem with xfs_repair -f -L after a remount rw?
>
> If it was read only, and you rebooted immediately afterwards, you'd
> probably be ok. Doing this to a mounted, rw filesystem is asking
> for trouble. If the shutdown is occurring after you've run xfs_repair,
> then it is almost certainly the cause....

whoops, that should have read 'remount ro' .. xfs_repair on a live and
writable filesystem is of course inviting desaster. I was trying read
only - btw, the system as such is booted via PXE and running complete
out of an initrd, using the HDD just for local data storage - not much
happening on shutdown/reboot either way.

> I'd suggest getting a knoppix (or similar) rescue disk and repairing
> from that, rebooting and seeing if the problem persists. If it
> does, then we'll have to look further into it.

I basically build a PXE image which does an xfs_repair -L /dev/sda2 from
initrd - and the problem persists. Sigh. Exactly no change.

> FWIW, you've got plenty of free inodes so this does not look
> to be the same problem I've just found.

okay ... it happens on several of the dozens of machines I'm running
this way, but not on others - I have yet to find the difference.

what can I do to help find the problem?

Andreas

--
flatline IT services - Andreas Kotes - Tailored solutions for your IT needs