Re: 2.6.23-rc9-git4: pata_pcmcia,disabling IRQ #9 and Re: libata and legacy ide pcmcia failure

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 07:18:25 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:38:31 +0900
Tejun Heo <htejun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alan Cox wrote:
O> Mar 20 19:51:45 idefix kernel: ata12: PATA max PIO0 cmd 0xa100 ctl
0xa10e irq 3
Mar 20 19:52:15 idefix kernel: ata12.00: qc timeout (cmd 0x91)
Mar 20 19:52:15 idefix kernel: ata12.00: failed to IDENTIFY (INIT_DEV_PARAMS failed, err_mask=0x4)
Thinkpad T61p .. I've seen a few of these.

Firstly try the card and adapter in a different PC and let me know if
that works. So far they do. If that is the case get the latest firmware
updates (BIOS etc) for your thinkpad and see if the problem goes away.
They (or our ACPI code I guess it may be) have some serious IRQ routing
problems on this box.
Any chance the thing just chokes up on INIT_DEV_PARAMS?

Possibly but I've seen several previosu reports showing no IRQ being
delivered off these machines. You get IRQ 3 reported as assigned and an
IRQ 9 turns up.

Alan

How can I check to see if this is the case? How would this explain that the adapter and card sometimes work when they are in when the system boots?

peter