Re: 2.6.25-rc7: Ugh.

From: Mark Lord
Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 - 21:58:15 EST

Jiri Kosina wrote:
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Greg KH wrote:

It boots, but just a simple suspend/resume (RAM) was enough to kill it. It comes back on resume, with an X desktop again, but with no USB functionality -- no mouse.
The keyboard still works, so I dropped to a console and tried:
rmmod usbhid
insmod usbhid
And the console hung at 100% CPU on the insmod.
Haven't heard of this one before sorry. Jiri, have you?

No, haven't heard anything similar either. Mark, are you able to collect the stacktraces via alt-sysrq-t at the time the system goes crazy?
..

No where practical to capture them to.
I don't know if the machine was entirely dead,
or just the console at that point.

Also, as you seem to be able to easily reproduce the bug, git-bisect might reveal the culprit easily. For start, you can try to bisect only let's say usb, hid and acpi code probably ... ?
..

I don't have the XX days necessary for git-bisect right now.
But if there were some likely candidates, I could probably try a couple.
Mostly I just wanted to give a heads-up that all is not well with 2.6.25
for now, and I'll get round to debugging it when I have time to do so.

I haven't yet tried -rc7 on my *other* dissimilar notebook,
but back at -rc2 it also had serious issues with suspend/resume not working.
This is my first look at 2.6.25 (on notebooks) since then.

..
kernel: [ 111.361099] pciehp_resume ENTRY
kernel: [ 112.362047] pciehp: Device 0000:0c:00.0 already exists at c:0, cannot hot-add
kernel: [ 112.362052] pciehp: Cannot add device 0xc:0

Hmm, what device is this?
..

Wireless PCIe card on internal slot -- Intel 3945ABG.