Re: [2.6 patch] mfd/sm501.c: #if 0 unused functions

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 15:08:50 EST

On 13/04/2008, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:55:21PM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> > On 13/04/2008, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > This patch #if 0's the following unused functions:
> > > - sm501_find_clock()
> > > - sm501_gpio_get()
> > > - sm501_gpio_set()
> > >

> > Hi Adrian,
> >
> > I know we've discussed this before, but I have to comment on this once more.
> >
> > Why is it that you seem to prefer adding '#if 0' around blocks of
> > unused code instead of removing it outright?

> When I removed unused code outright some people complained that they
> plan to use it tomorrow or in the next millenium or whenever.
>
> When I #if 0 it other people complain that I should remove it outright.
>
> So whatever I do, there's always someone complaining. ;-)
>
> In this case the code looks as if it might get used at some point in the
> future.
>
> But if a maintainer tells me to resend a patch with the code removed
> instead of #if 0'ed I'm always glad to do this.

But, you are completely ignoring the case of "the code is unused, but
will probably be used soon, so I'll just leave it alone and avoid the
churn". Why? What's the point of commenting it out now and then
enabling it again in a month or two - isn't that just pointless churn?

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>