Re: Building a kernel for SiS55-based system.

From: Gilles Espinasse
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 05:19:57 EST

Selon Marian Aldenhövel <marian.aldenhoevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build a linux kernel for a small form-factor PC. I have so
> far failed to create a working kernel.
>
> Output of /cat/proc/cpuinfo as given by the hardware vendor:
>
> > processor : 0
> > vendor_id : SiS SiS SiS
> > cpu family : 5
> > model : 0
> > model name : ff/00
> > stepping : 5
> > cpu MHz : 200.008
> > fdiv_bug : no
> > hlt_bug : no
> > f00f_bug : no
> > coma_bug : no
> > fpu : yes
> > fpu_exception : yes
> > cpuid level : 1
> > wp : yes
> > flags : fpu tsc cx8 mmx
> > bogomips : 398.95
>
> I gather that is a SiS 55x System-on-a-chip.
>
> I am using T2[1] as build-system. It (currently) tries to build the kernel
> from 2.6.25.7 sources. When booting the kernel it built the system stops
> after:
>
> Decompressing Linux... done.
> Booting the kernel.
>
> At the bottom of the screen it says:
>
> BUG: Int6: CR2 00000000
>
> And nothing else.

Int6 mean invalid opcode

I find same error messages
on opensuse beta with linux-2.6.24 and real hardware
http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sf-archives/opensuse-beta/347272-updated-last-night-kernel-bug-now.html

on debian kernel under MS VirtualPC

What version of gcc,binutils?

Could you try with distrib images to know if it could be related to your
compilation system or use a distrib kernel config to test on your compilation
system?

Instead of CONFIG_M386=y, you may try to select M486 or M586
( maybe later with tsc and mmx as cpuinfo flags line report it is supported).

Gilles