Re: Intel Microcode loader, tg3 driver, and the -rc8-mmotd New World Order firmware...

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu Jul 03 2008 - 08:28:04 EST

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:30:29 BST, David Woodhouse said:

> > Anyhow, it appears the firmware_request() was just a bullet loaded in the
> > chamber waiting for me to pull the trigger 2 years later by setting
> > CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=n :)
>
> No, the recent firmware changes haven't modified this. The
> FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL option makes no difference here.

"D'Oh!" -- H. Simpson.
"Nevermind" - Emily Litella.

Actually, FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL *did* make a difference - it busticated the tg3
driver and while fighting with the 'firmware: requesting tigon/tg3_tso.bin'
errors I had just inflicted on myself, I found the 'requesting intel-ucode/060f06'
messages as well - and totally failed to notice that the *previous* kernel
and initscripts had *all along* been doing a modprobe, which generated 2 requests
(one per CPU) which failed, and then the initscript ran microcode_ctl *anyhow*,
papering over the two failed requests.. ;)