Re: linux-next: build failure

From: Mike Travis
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 10:32:05 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> yeah, i was just wondering.
>> in linux/README
>>
>> COMPILING the kernel:
>>
>> - Make sure you have at least gcc 3.2 available.
>> For more information, refer to Documentation/Changes.
>>
>> So, if 3.4.5 is old, Should we change readme?
>
> the fix is simple enough.
>
> but the question is, wont it generate huge artificial stackframes with
> CONFIG_MAXSMP and NR_CPUS=4096? Maybe it is unable to figure out and
> simplify the arithmetics there - or something like that.
>
> Ingo

I've looked at stack frames quite extensively and usually they are
not generated unless you explicitly use a named cpumask variable,
pass a cpumask by value, expect a cpumask function return, create
an initializer that contains a cpumask field, and (probably a couple
more I missed).

Almost all others are done efficiently via pointers or simple
struct copies:

cpus_xxx(*cpumask_of_cpu(), ...
struct->cpumask_var = *cpumask_of_cpu()
global_cpumask_var = *cpumask_of_cpu()