Re: directory sort order no longer beginning with "." and ".."?

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 10:53:32 EST

Oliver Soltys wrote:
My question: is this a bug, or a feature? I could not find anything about that
anywhere...

Does anybody have an idea, how I can fix this? Unfortunately, our application
can not be changed.

No Unix-like system makes any guarantee about the order of '.' and '..' with respect to other directory entries. They've often appeared first as an implementation side-effect, but that's highly system and filesystem dependent.

If you can't modify the app, you might consider some LD_PRELOAD library to replace readdir with something that sorts the results in the order your app expects. There's already examples of that kind of thing to sort the results by inode.