Re: Help text for config OPTIMIZE_INLINING

From: Sitsofe Wheeler
Date: Sat Oct 11 2008 - 15:05:24 EST

> From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>

> * Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
>
> > While [this] suggests that one should set it to y to generate smaller
> > kernels. My own experience says that setting it to y DOES generate a
> > smaller kernel so perhaps the main text should be changed to reflect
> > this?
>
> sure, could you send a patch (with lkml Cc:-ed) that does this?

Will do (I won't send it via Yahoo mail though because it will be mangled).

> Also, would be nice if you sent with/without vmlinux size numbers for
> the config you are using. Btw., do you have

5463127 2008-10-11 19:51 vmlinux.no-opt
5456152 2008-10-11 19:56 vmlinux.opt

So about 6975 bytes smaller. This is a config which is vastly cut down, compiler was gcc version 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33) on Fedora 8.

> CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y enabled as well? That too shrinks the
> kernel (which speeds it up as well on moder CPUs), quite visibly.

In the past I've tried it out but it seemed to make my crude benchmark (glxgears) go slower...