Re: GIT head doesn't seem to want to build on 32bit..

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Dec 16 2008 - 13:49:04 EST

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Alan Cox wrote:

> I built a 64bit kernel from the same source tree first, then did make
> mrproper, then it broke. I'll investigate further.

Maybe you did just "make clean"? That leaves at least the "include/asm"
symlink around.

But maybe there is some other file that "make mrproper" doesn't actually
remove and that gets generated with your 64-bit config or build, but not
mine. You can always test with doing a

git ls-files -o

to see if there are any "other" files (ie build-generated ones) around.

(On that same vein: I have taught my fingers to just do "git clean -dqfx"
instead of "make distclean". Works with any git repository, and avoids any
makefile bugs that leave generated files behind).

Linus