dm_attr_{name,uuid}_show buffer overflow? (was: Re: linux-next: Treefor January 5)

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 16:41:42 EST

On m68k, you get http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/65466/:

| ERROR: "strlen" [drivers/md/dm-mod.ko] undefined!

which triggered my attention.

drivers/md/dm-sysfs.c:

| static ssize_t dm_attr_name_show(struct mapped_device *md, char *buf)
| {
| if (dm_copy_name_and_uuid(md, buf, NULL))
| return -EIO;
|
| strncat(buf, "\n", DM_NAME_LEN);
| return strnlen(buf, DM_NAME_LEN);
| }

is turned into:

| .type dm_attr_name_show, @function
| dm_attr_name_show:
| move.l %a3,-(%sp)
| move.l 12(%sp),%a3 | buf, buf
| clr.l -(%sp) |
| move.l %a3,-(%sp) | buf,
| move.l 16(%sp),-(%sp) | md,
| jbsr dm_copy_name_and_uuid |
| lea (12,%sp),%sp |,
| tst.l %d0 |
| jeq .L23 |
| move.w #-5,%a0 |, D.21217
| jbra .L25 |
| .L23:
| move.l %a3,-(%sp) | buf,
| jbsr strlen |
| addq.l #4,%sp |,
| move.w #2560,(%a3,%d0.l) |,* buf
| moveq #127,%d0 |, tmp43
| not.b %d0 | tmp43
| move.l %a3,%a0 | buf, sc.399
| #APP
|
| 1: subq.l #1,%d0 | count
| jcs 2f
| tst.b (%a0)+ | sc.399
| jne 1b
| subq.l #1,%a0 | sc.399
| 2:
| #NO_APP
| sub.l %a3,%a0 | buf, D.21217
| .L25:
| move.l %a0,%d0 | D.21217, <result>
| move.l (%sp)+,%a3
| rts
| .size dm_attr_name_show, .-dm_attr_name_show

So gcc (version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21) in my case) is
smart and turns the strncat into a strlen() (without obeying our override of
strlen() in <{linux,asm}/string.h>) followed by an _unconditional_ store.

And I think that's the real bug: `strncat(buf, "\n", DM_NAME_LEN);' copies at
most DM_NAME_LEN characters from source "\n", which has the known size 2,
which is always smaller than DM_NAME_LEN. Hence the check is optimized away,
and the "\n" is _always_ appended!

Probably the intention was to limit the string in _buf_ (not the source string
"\n") to DM_NAME_LEN? If yes, this may cause a buffer overflow.

The same bug is present in dm_attr_uuid_show().

Fixing it will probably get rid of the undefined reference, too (I hope :-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds