Re: [GIT PULL] Squashfs pull request for 2.6.29

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 01:36:46 EST

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:30:23 PST, Linus Torvalds said:

> I think squashfs usage would be similar - you'd not have squashfs as a
> standalone media, it would be a "installation medium" thing.

Actually, for some of us, squashfs would *usually* be a standalone - my biggest
application for it is when I end up having to can-opener some wonky install
medium that one of my users is having a problem with. And of course, I
have to use some *other* kernel/system to do the can-opener trick with, because
if the one on the medium worked, the user wouldn't be standing in my office :)

Fortunately, that usually means I'm using a recent -mm kernel on my laptop,
and the kernel/medium I'm trying to debug is almost always older, so I don't
have to worry much about a too-new medium. Anybody comes in my office with
something even more bleeding edge than what I have, I damn well expect them
to be able to debug the issue themselves. ;)