Re: WOL with forcedeth broken sincef55c21fd9a92a444e55ad1ca4e4732d56661bf2e

From: Philipp Matthias Hahn
Date: Fri Feb 06 2009 - 01:59:28 EST

Hello again!

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 06:33:20AM +0100, Philipp Matthias Hahn wrote:
> Just this morning I had to use the reverted address to wake up my
> desktop PC after 6 hours of poweroff.

I did some structured tesing:

1. WOL does _not_ work at all when I do:
(grub) boot into initrd
(initrd) modprobe forcedeth
(initrd) ethtool -s eth0 wol g
* (initrd) poweroff

2. WOL does _not_ work at all when I do:
(grub) boot into initrd
(initrd) modprobe forcedeth
(initrd) ethtool -s eth0 wol g
* (initrd) Alt-SysRq-O

3. WOL works using the _un-reversed_ MAC when I do:
(grub) boot into initrd
(initrd) modprobe forcedeth
(initrd) ethtool -s eth0 wol g
* (initrd) Alt-SysRq-B
* (grub) halt

4. WOL works using the _reversed_ MAC when I do:
(grub) boot into initrd
(initrd) modprobe forcedeth
(initrd) ethtool -s eth0 wol g
(initrd) exit
* (Debian) poweroff

If I do the poweroff from linux (either initrd or Debian), forcedeth
seems to display some messages just before poweroff. I'll try to get
hands on a Serial-USB-Converter and a NULL-modem-cable to capture it,
since my laptop is legacy-free :-(

BYtE
Philipp Hahn

PS: initrd is actually initramfs, before somebody wonders.
--
/ / (_)__ __ ____ __ Philipp Hahn