Re: [PROPOSED] ata: Report 16/32bit PIO as best we can

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Apr 13 2009 - 12:33:19 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
But.. these do look rather suspiciously like sysfs attrs to me.

I'd rather any future sysfs interface actually exposed something more
meaningful. This is a legacy fixup 8)

We didn't have a sysfs in the IDE days (so Gadi added the klunky
procfs "settings" thing for there), but we do now.

I'm happy to update hdparm to check sysfs if that's where this
ends up, or to do almost nothing for it if we stick with the ioctls.

I'm not sure sysfs helps much anyway - you have to open the device file
and keep it open while accessing the sysfs nodes anyway (something huge
numbers of apps hopelessly fail to do so)

FWIW... here is the sysfs work I referred to (in a message sent several days ago in this thread)...

http://lwn.net/Articles/294608/

Jeff