Re: Analyzed/Solved/Bisected: Booting 2.6.30-rc2-git7 very slow

From: jim owens
Date: Wed May 27 2009 - 16:18:29 EST

Miller, Mike (OS Dev) wrote:
Finally, today I built the ccsii driver into the kernel.
It was previously modularized and loaded from initrd. The second "sysfs" line went away. But does this make cciss guilty? It is now loaded about 2 seconds earlier in the boot sequence, which is a big change in timing I guess.
Enlighten me :-)
No idea what is going on, but since I saw your May 20 message, I have been trying to wake up someone whose day job it should be to care about dl380s and smartarrays. :)

What? I know Martin has pinged me in the past, but I do not think it was about this issue. If there's multiple sysfs entries for cciss I can't explain that offhand. We do little to nothing for sysfs in the driver.
Had something similiar happen recently where "/" changed to "!". Had do to with our nested directory structure, /dev/cciss/name vs /dev/name. But we did not make that change, either.

It was not you that I was trying to get to look at this...
but now that I have your attention :)

I did not think it pointed at cciss or the sysfs entry as
being the problem. I was wondering more about platform probe
timing, the bios, and how each card firmware reacts given
what I thought the patch did. I could be totally wrong about
that as I work at the filesystem level.

We have not seen the problem yet but we have different
proliants/smartarrays.

If you can try it on matching hardware, great, if not
then someone will eventually find a system to test it.

jim