Re: HTC Dream aka. t-mobile g1 support

From: Brian Swetland
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 07:53:24 EST

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:48 AM, Pavel Machek<pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> You'll need to fastboot boot arch/arm/boot/zImage ramdisk.img
>
> Aha, fastboot implies that ramdisk is optional.. apparently it is not.

Well, it *is* optional -- but the kernel as we build it needs an
initrd to do much that's visible. Could probably enable fb console
and provide a commandline that points console there (-c "kernel
commandline" argument to fastboot).

>> Extracting the ramdisk.img from the boot.img in the boot partition on
>> an existing device is a pain. ÂIf you happen to have a cupcake
>> userspace built from source that ramdisk.img should be suitable. ÂIf
>> not, I'll try to dig up a suitable ramdisk image tomorrow -- it's just
>> init, init.rc, and adb, but it is necessary to boot.
>
> I tried using ramdisk.img from sdk:
>
> root@amd:/data/l/android# ./fastboot boot
> /data/l/linux-msm/arch/arm/boot/uImage
> /data/l/android/sdk/platforms/android-1.5/images/ramdisk.img
>
> ...no luck :-(.

Is a uImage compatible with zImage (if the bootloader copies it to
0x10008000 and jumps there will it start?)

> Better Kconfig description would certainly be nice. Renaming
> board-trout* to board-dream* would be also nice (and should be doable
> without any intrusive changes...?)

Ah, I see. Yes, renaming the files would be easy to do and that's
totally reasonable. I thought you wanted the machine type name
changed.

Brian