Re: report a bug about sched_rt

From: Tommaso Cucinotta
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 19:24:36 EST

Hi,

Jamie Lokier ha scritto:
Raistlin wrote:
http://feanor.sssup.it/~faggioli/papers/OSPERT-2009-dlexception.pdf
Moreover, we are open to any
suggestion and contribution about this work, especially from the
community!

The biggest weakness I see is if the application has a bug such as
overwriting random memory or terminating the thread which is receiving
timer signals, it can easily break the scheduling policy by accident.

When the scheduling policy is implemented in the kernel, it can only
be broken by system calls requesting a change of scheduling policy,
which are relatively unlikely, and if necessary that can be completely
prevented by security controls.
First, thanks for your comments and interest. The mentioned mechanism should be regarded as something that helps in the development of programs that need to meet timing requirements. This is not meant at all to constitute a "user-level" scheduler, nor to replace a real-time scheduler job. Contrarily, its purpose is solely to push towards a software design paradigm in which the "awareness" of the existing timing constraints, and the "awareness" of the possibility that they might be violated (on a GPOS) is coded at the program-level (by means of an exception-like paradigm). The mechanism has been designed as a complement to the real-time scheduling facilities that the kernel provides. As an example, imagine that, by a proper configuration of the scheduling policy and parameters, an application may be guaranteed a certain budget every period. However, the requested budget cannot be the actual worst-case, because it would not be practical to compute it (nor feasible, cause it would depend on a lot of external factors such as interrupt load etc...) and it would lead to too much under-usage of resources. By using this exception-like paradigm, the developer may code, into an "exception-handler" segment, the recovery actions needed whenever the real-time task is about to violate for example its WCET constraints (for example, one could use a "try_wcet()" block with a WCET specs which is slightly lower than the budget configured into the scheduler, i.e., the difference being the WCET of the exception handling code). Then, the real-time scheduler will still enforce the configured budget for this application, so, if the recovery logics embedded inside the exception-handler takes too much (i.e., its WCET has been under-estimated), then the temporal isolation is guaranteed anycase, and the application won't impact negatively other applications' real-time guarantees provided by the scheduler.
In fact, we're working on a practical case-study where both the timing-exception mechanism and one of the real-time schedulers we have here at SSSA is used. For example, a potential issue we're thinking about is if and how to "synchronize" someway the vision of time of the exception-based mechanism and the one of the scheduler, because in prior experiences built modifying multimedia applications for taking advantage of feedback-based real-time scheduling, this was one of the burden to face with, before the application started behaving as "theoretically" foreseen.

Hope this clarifies our view. Please, feel free to post further comments.

Regards,

T.