Re: TCP keepalive timer problem

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Aug 27 2009 - 10:29:39 EST

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 04:17:10PM +0200, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Andi Kleen a écrit :
> > Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >> Now, 7200 seconds might be inappropriate for special needs, and considering
> >> there is no way to change tcp_retries2 for a given socket (only choice being the global
> >> tcp_retries2 setting), I would vote for a change in our stack, to *relax* RFC,
> >> and get smaller keepalive timers if possible.
> >
> > I think the better fix would be to just to only do that when
> > tcp_retries2 > keep alive time. So keep the existing behaviour
> > with default keep alive, but switch when the user defined
> > a very short keep alive.
> >

> tcp_retries2 is a number of retries, its difficult to derive a time from it.

That shouldn't be too hard.

> Also, it's not clear what behavior you are refering to.
> Imagine we can be smart and compute tcp_retries2_time (in jiffies) from tcp_retries2
> If keepalive_timer fires and we have packets in flight, what heuristic do you suggest ?

I didn't suggest to change something at firing time, just pattern
the code you removed with if (keepalive_time > retries2 time)

That's not perfect, but likely good enough.

> if (tp->packets_out || tcp_send_head(sk))
> if (tcp_retries2_time < keepalive_time_when(tp))
> goto resched;
> elapsed = tcp_time_stamp - tp->rcv_tstamp;
>
> What would be the gain ?
> Arming timer exactly every keepalive_time_when(tp)
> instead of keepalive_time_when(tp) - (tcp_time_stamp - tp->rcv_tstamp) ?

The gain would be that you don't send unnecessary packets by default (following the RFC), but
still give expected behaviour to users who explicitely set short keepalives.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.