Re: Warning: unable to open an initial console

From: Steven A. DuChene
Date: Wed Sep 30 2009 - 13:24:46 EST

Well, according to the research I did looking for my initial
console error message on google it seems it is not a kernel
compile issue but rather an issue with the kernel needing to
find /dev/console before udev is run to create the various
device entries in /dev

To work around this I created an initrd file for my kernel
even though I have all the needed disk device drivers and
filesystems drivers in my kernel. Once I did that and put
it into place my new kernel booted up just fine.