Re: complete IO hang since a few kernel revision

From: Norbert Preining
Date: Mon Oct 05 2009 - 04:34:34 EST

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009, Ulrich Lukas wrote:
> A number of patches went into 2.6.32-rc3 which was released today.

Ok, with 2.6.32-rc3 running now.

> Can you test if your problems are solved with this latest version?

Example:
dpkg-source -x of a big debian source package
which is more or less untarring a big .tar and then applying a diff
which is much smaller (tar.gz: 482M, diff.gz: 412k)

The dpkg-source has finished, I am back at the prompt.

At the same time a simple
$ <ENTER>
in a different xterm did not produce *any* thing, no output, for about
30 seconds. I mean 30 seconds waiting for an empty command is a bit
strange I would say.

I don't know to which this is related, but it seems quite buggy.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining Associate Professor
JAIST Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology preining@xxxxxxxxxxx
Vienna University of Technology preining@xxxxxxxx
Debian Developer (Debian TeX Task Force) preining@xxxxxxxxxx
CLABBY (adj.)
A 'clabby' conversation is one stuck up by a commissionaire or
cleaning lady in order to avoid any further actual work. The opening
gambit is usually designed to provoke the maximum confusion, and
therefore the longest possible clabby conversation. It is vitally
important to learn the correct, or 'clixby' (q.v.), responses to a
clabby gambit, and not to get trapped by a 'ditherington' (q.v.). For
instance, if confronted with a clabby gambit such as 'Oh, mr Smith, I
didn't know you'd had your leg off', the ditherington response is 'I
haven't....' whereas the clixby is 'good.'
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff