Re: Async suspend-resume patch w/ completions (was: Re: Async suspend-resume patch w/ rwsems)

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Sat Dec 19 2009 - 17:48:18 EST

On Dec 19, 2009, at 1:33 PM, "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Saturday 19 December 2009, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:43:29PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Wednesday 16 December 2009, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 03:11:05AM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Tuesday 15 December 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

Give a real example that matters.

I'll try. Let -> denote child-parent relationships and assume dpm_list looks
like this:

No.

I mean something real - something like

- if you run on a non-PC with two USB buses behind non-PCI controllers.

- device xyz.

If this applies to _resume_ only, then I agree, but the Arjan's data clearly
show that serio devices take much more time to suspend than USB.

I mean in general - something where you actually have hard data that some
device really needs anythign more than my one-liner, and really _needs_
some complex infrastructure.

Not "let's imagine a case like xyz".

As I said I would, I made some measurements.

I measured the total time of suspending and resuming devices as shown by the
code added by this patch:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/rafael/suspend-2.6.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=c1b8fc0a8bff7707c10f31f3d26bfa88e18ccd94;hp=087dbf5f079f1b55cbd3964c9ce71268473d5b67
on two boxes, HP nx6325 and MSI Wind U100 (hardware-wise they are quite
different and the HP was running 64-bit kernel and user space).

I took four cases into consideration:
(1) synchronous suspend and resume (/sys/power/pm_async = 0)
(2) asynchronous suspend and resume as introduced by the async branch at:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/rafael/suspend-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/async
(3) asynchronous suspend and resume like in (2), but with your one-liner setting
the power.async_suspend flag for PCI bridges on top
(4) asynchronous suspend and resume like in (2), but with an extra patch that
is appended on top

For those tests I set power.async_suspend for all USB devices, all serio input
devices, the ACPI battery and the USB PCI controllers (to see the impact of the
one-liner, if any).

I carried out 5 consecutive suspend-resume cycles (started from under X) on
each box in each case, and the raw data are here (all times in milliseconds):
http://www.sisk.pl/kernel/data/async-suspend.pdf

The summarized data are below (the "big" numbers are averages and the +/-
numbers are standard deviations, all in milliseconds):

HP nx6325 MSI Wind U100

sync suspend 1482 (+/- 40) 1180 (+/- 24)
sync resume 2955 (+/- 2) 3597 (+/- 25)

async suspend 1553 (+/- 49) 1177 (+/- 32)
async resume 2692 (+/- 326) 3556 (+/- 33)

async+one-liner suspend 1600 (+/- 39) 1212 (+/- 41)
async+one-liner resume 2692 (+/- 324) 3579 (+/- 24)

async+extra suspend 1496 (+/- 37) 1217 (+/- 38)
async+extra resume 1859 (+/- 114) 1923 (+/- 35)

So, in my opinion, with the above set of "async" devices, it doesn't
make sense to do async suspend at all, because the sync suspend is actually
the fastest on both machines.

I think the async suspend is not asynchronous enough then - what kind of
time do you get if you simply comment out call to psmouse_reset() in
drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.c:psmouse_cleanup()? (Just for testing
purposes only, I don't think we want to do that by default.)

The problem apparently is that the i8042 suspend/resume is synchronous.

Do you think it's safe to mark it as asynchronous?

Umm.. there lie dragons. There is an implicit relationship between i8042
and PNP/ACPI devices representing keyboard and mouse ports, and I am not
sure how happy i8042 (and most importantly the BIOS) will be if they get
shut down before i8042. Also there is EC which is in theory independent
but in practice not so much.

I see.

Is this possible to identify ACPI devices that should wait for the i8042
suspend and that should be waited for by it on resume?

We could try to add some dependencies while discovering PNP to get KBC addresses in i8042 but we need tomake sure we do it even in presence of i8042.nopnp.

--
Dmitry