Re: [Patch 0/2] sysfs: fix s_active lockdep warning

From: Cong Wang
Date: Thu Feb 04 2010 - 22:42:00 EST

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 12:30 -0800, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

We get false positives when the code of a sysfs attribute
synchronously removes other sysfs attributes. In general that is not
safe due to hotplug etc, but there are specific instances of static
sysfs entries like the pm_core where it appears to be safe.

I am not familiar with the device core lockdep issues. Are they similar?

The device tree had the problem that we could basically hold a device
lock and an unspecified number of parent locks (iirc this was due to
device probing, where we hold the bus lock while probing/adding child
device, recursively).

If we place each dev->lock into the same class (which would naively
happen), then this would lead to recursive lock warnings. The proposed
solution for this is to create MAX_LOCK_DEPTH classes and assign them to
the dev->lock depending on the depth in the device tree (Alan said that
MAX_LOCK_DEPTH is sufficient for all practical cases).

static struct lock_class_key dev_tree_classes[MAX_LOCK_DEPTH];

device_add() or thereabouts would have something like:

#ifdef CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING
BUG_ON(dev->depth >= MAX_LOCK_DEPTH);
lockdep_set_class(dev->lock, &dev_tree_classes[dev->depth]);
#endif

Nice explanation!

I see, we should set the class of the lock when after we holding it...
I will update my patch.

Thank you!