Re: [RFC 1/3] Unified NMI delayed call mechanism

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Jun 18 2010 - 06:31:21 EST

* Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I think the perf event subsytem can log events in NMI context already and
> > deliver them to userspace when the NMI is done. This is why I think Ingo
> > wants MCE to be updated to sit on top of the perf event subsytem to avoid
> > re-invent everything again.
>
> perf is not solving the problem this is trying to solve.

That is why i requested to extend the events backend. That will unify more of
the code than the first few steps achieved by these three patches - and offers
the functionality to all code that uses the events framework.

> [...]
>
> perf does not fit into this because it has no way to process such an event
> inside the kernel.

It 'does not fit' into the events backend only if you pretend that it is
impossible or undesirable to have a delayed, in-context callback mechanism
implemented there.

If you look at it more closely you'll notice that in reality it's not only
possible but that it is also a pretty natural fit.

Thanks,

Ingo